top of page

RICS Home Surveys: Level 2 or Level 3? Which do I need?

Updated: Jan 17, 2023

We're always asked what the difference is between the RICS Home Survey Level 2 (Homebuyer Report) and the RICS Home Survey Level 3 (Building Survey). We will help you decide which one is more suitable for your purchase.

What is the difference between a Level 2 Report and a Level 3 Report?

It can be quite confusing trying to understand which survey is suitable for your property. That’s why we want to give you all the information we can to make you feel reassured in your decision.

So which one is for you?

Level 2 (formerly the Homebuyer Report)

For most conventional properties, a Level 2 Report would be sufficient. This is a mid level report and it includes a valuation.

If your property ticks one or all of the items below, then it is likely a Level 2 is suitable for you:

  • The property is a conventional and previously occupied property in a reasonable condition

  • You want reassurance about your property choice

  • You want to save money by negotiating the price based on our findings

  • You need general advice on the property

The Level 2 Report provides significant detail about the property and provides detailed ratings for each aspect of the building. It includes a general inspection and valuation of the property.

Level 3 (formerly the Building Survey)

The Level 3 Report is suitable for:

  • ​large, old or run-down properties

  • properties that are unusual or altered

  • properties where you are planning major works

This report gives more detailed information about the structure and fabric of the property.

The report includes:

  • a thorough inspection and detailed report on a wider range of issues

  • a description of visible defects and potential problems caused by hidden flaws

  • an outline of repair options and the likely consequences of inactivity and advice for your legal advisers and details of serious risks and dangerous conditions

A Level 3 Report does not include a valuation but your surveyor may be able to provide this as an extra service.


bottom of page